Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Elsewhere in the Blogosphere ...

I may be out of town and away from my computer most of the day, but everyone else isn't. And they're letting me know what's going on. Here's the best of the mailbag ... check it out!
  • The Chronicles of Master Li and Number Ten Ox is available again thanks to Subterranean Press. This book is super hard to find and I count myself lucky to have taken a flier on the Science Fiction Book Club omnibus long ago when I noticed it. I received permission lately from author Barry Hughart to podcast The Bridge of Birds, the first book of the trilogy.  (Thanks to Scott, my partner in crime at A Good Story is Hard to Find, for passing this info along.)

    From Publishers Weekly (Starred Review):
    "Reading Hughart’s endearing historical fantasy trilogy, first published almost 20 years ago, is much like 'wandering blindfolded through a myth devised by a maniac,' in the words of Master Li, the greatest and most frequently intoxicated wise man in a colorful seventh century 'China that never was.' Their rollicking adventures pit them against everyone from murderers and thieves to emperors and gods. Numerous Chinese legends, filtered through Ox’s simple perspective, blend seamlessly into both lighthearted and heartrending.

  • Building a Catholic eBook Library on the Cheap: Brandon Vogt is a new Kindle-maniac (I can relate!) and has compiled an interesting and useful list of Kindle formatted books of special interest to Catholic readers. He lists prices along with the links, which is really handy. Plus he give links to Catholic publishers with good eBook sources and the Why I Am Catholic bookshelf. A great post to bookmark and keep handy.

  • Pay It Forward: many thanks to Holly for honoring Happy Catholic as her choice for the Pay It Forward blog this week. What's Pay It Forward?
    “Pay It Forward” is an avenue to connect with each other, and reap the benefits from what that connecting can do: find new friends, make you laugh a little, cry a lot (maybe that was only me), and affect you in a way that keeps you thinking for days afterwards.
    You can see why I loved seeing Holly name Happy Catholic for this ... not only for the Catholic stuff but also for the Texas Enchiladas and the latest thing that drove me B.A.T.T.Y.! Thank you Holly! Go check out her blog and the other Pay It Forward participants.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the SHOUT OUT about “Pay It Forward”. We’d love to hear what ~Happy Catholic~ readers have to share. “Pay It Forward” encourages good information, good writing, good reporting, good humor, good books, good scripture, goodwill, good news, or any other good you can think of—that’s why the Happy Catholic was at the TOP of our list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazon with the Kindle is great on the Catholic Library. I've noticed ever since I got my Kindle.

    ReplyDelete