Saturday, January 22, 2011

January 22 - National Day of Penance and Prayer for Life

Per the U.S. Bishops today is a day of penance and prayer for life
In all the dioceses of the United States of America, January 22 (or January 23, when January 22 falls on a Sunday) shall be observed as a particular day of penance for violations to the dignity of the human person committed through acts of abortion, and of prayer for the full restoration of the legal guarantee of the right to life. The Mass "For Peace and Justice" (no. 22 of the "Masses for Various Needs") should be celebrated with violet vestments as an appropriate liturgical observance for this day.
General Instruction of the Roman Missal, no. 373
Tom and I are marching in the Dallas March for Life today. If you happen to see this and be there ... we will be near the blue balloons (for our St. Thomas Aquinas parish). I will be wearing a purple parka. Please come and say hello and walk with us!

3 comments:

  1. Very... Nicee... Blog.. I really appreciate it... Thanks..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's great. I've never heard of a Day of Penance before. Is this the first? I searched but couldn't find any definition of what it actually means. Imust be a terrible Catholic not to know. Any idea? And what am I obligated to do per the day of penance?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Manny, sorry to answer this so late. You aren't a terrible Catholic. But I'd point it out to my parish so they know to mention it to everyone next year. :-)

    Click through on the USCCB link for more info. :-)

    ReplyDelete