Wednesday, December 15, 2010

What Do I Want for Christmas? Seven Deadly Sins, Please!

Well, actually I want John Zmirak's latest book, The Bad Catholic's Guide to the Seven Deadly sins. Ian from Aquinas and More says the books are finally in stock.

I am a dedicated fan of the "Bad Catholic" books, so much so that I've had this book on my wish list since I found out months ago that it was close to publication.

I'll let Ian give you the samples and then you can go pick up your own copy of at least one of those books.
So who should you send this latest guide to? I’ll let Mr. Zmirak give you his thoughts on that:
Think of the person who most gets on your nerves with the scruples he likes to share, who spams you with email sob stories, or sniffs disgustedly at your jokes. You know, the person who makes you bite your tongue for fear of piercing his preternaturally thin skin…Put this book down right away, find some really tasteful wrapping paper, wrap the book up, and give it to him.
Here’s a sample from the introduction:
One way of describing the Seven Deadly Sins might be “the seven key areas of life where Jesus ruins our fun.” By this, I mean the categories of normal human experience that make up the bulk of our lives – where our instincts, habits and egos have patched together perfectly serviceable habits of schlepping through, day to day. We’d just as soon our coping strategies weren’t disrupted by some fish-multiplying, wonder-working God-Man who speaks in riddles. But hey, thanks for thinking of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment