Monday, December 6, 2010

Top Ten Fictional Characters I'd Want for a Bestie

This idea, encountered at Linus's Blanket, intrigued me. I was surprised at just how many fictional characters sprang to the top of my mind. I suppose that is because for a main character to be really successful, at least in most books, they must be easy to relate to on at least some level. For books that you love, I suspect the main characters are those who you love as well. Here are some of those for me.
  1. Laura from The Little House books by Laura Ingalls Wilder
    Was it just me or did everyone else also feel that Laura was expressing so much of what they themselves felt? I think we'd understand each other.
  2. Abbess Catherine from In This House of Brede.
    Again, I related to her. Plus I liked the very practical approach she took to balancing problem solving and spiritual matters, as well as the way she threw herself at the Lord's feet when overwhelmed. Which I only wish I could do as well as she.
  3. Odd Thomas from Dean Koontz's series.
    Odd is endearing and a heckuva fry cook. Though I don't really want to hear the details about his eerie adventures. I'd like to hang out with him inbetween. (Yes, I just want the cozy, nice side of those stories in my own life.)
  4. Jane Eyre
    She's smart, interesting, and diplomatic when being honest. And we could argue (politely) about why she admires that cousin of hers so much.
  5. The Grand Sophy
    A take charge kind of gal in the best of the books that began the Regency romance genre, Sophy not only is clear sighted and honest, but she'd do anything for a pal. You might be annoyed by her but you'd also probably be amused at the same time. And she's got a kind heart.
  6. Gandalf from The Lord of the Rings
    Who wouldn't want Gandalf for a best friend? That relationship he has with Frodo is one anyone would want, a combination friend and mentor who helps you be your best.
  7. Miss Marple from the Agatha Christie mysteries
    She's a hoot! And a sweetie too. I never could relate to Hercule Poirot or Hastings, but Miss Marple ... I wanted to live in her little village and have tea while we both knit together, exchanging knowing glances over why the Generals' second maid was late again to the dentist. (Or something like that.)
  8. Aibileen from The Help
    A strong woman who can look past people's exteriors to give them a chance. Looking at her friendship with Minny, her mothering of the children in her care even while she knew from sad experience how they'd probably treat her when they were older, and her downright smarts, anyone would be proud to have a friend like her. As would I.
  9. Harry Dresden from the Jim Butcher series
    Yes, he'd probably drive me crazy because he's such a smart aleck. But that's what'd keep me laughing at the same time. And until my car was torn to shred by monsters when he borrowed it for an emergency, I think we could have a lot of fun hanging out. He'd be an expensive friend, but definitely a lot of fun.
  10. Ian Malcolm from Jurassic Park
    Because I go for quirky oddballs who happen to also be brilliant. At least when they're in a book I seem to go for them. He's the only guy in this book who has a handle on the big picture of what is going on. And I'd purely love to be pals with this guy.

5 comments:

  1. Amelia Peabody from the Elizabeth Peters series

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd go for Vickie Bliss from a different Elizabeth Peters series ... but she's got several good ones to choose from, doesn't she?

    ReplyDelete
  3. mycatholicblog.com12/6/10, 10:16 AM

    Dr. Watson!

    Smart, humble, loyal, and will help you out if you find yourself in trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really fun entry! I agree with you about most of your picks, too! Especially Harry Dresden, since I just named my new car the Blue Beetle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that I think about it, a few Georgette Heyer heroines could have made the list.

    ReplyDelete