Saturday, December 18, 2010

Christmas Shopping Idea: Is That Angels I Hear Singing?

Voices: Chant from Avignon
The Nuns of the Abbaye de Notre-Dame de l'Annonciation, from a remote region of France near Avignon, won a worldwide search to find the world's finest female singers of Gregorian Chant. The search took in over 70 convents, including communities as far afield as North America and Africa.

The Nuns are part of an ancient order which dates back to the 6th Century. They continue the tradition of leading a hidden life, literally behind closed doors. To remain `secluded' to the outside world, any visitors, even family, must communicate with the sisters through a grill. Once vows have been taken to live in the Convent, the sisters remain there until their death.

The Nuns' album will feature the most ancient form of Gregorian Chant, which the sisters sing eight times a day, and was the first music ever to be written down.
That description is from the cd.

It is lovely that the nuns live such a dedicated life serving God in prayer and contemplation. We certainly can use it and they are wonderful examples as well.

However, what I really enjoy right now is having their CD playing in the evenings. It is like liquid gold, bathing the listeners in smooth, soaring song. It doesn't matter that I don't understand a word of it. The music is enough. It makes me pause from my occupation, stop and think, and sometimes ... pray.

If you are at all interested, I encourage you to listen to samples from Amazon (link above). It is something out of the ordinary.

2 comments:

  1. I played the 30 second clips at Amazon, and you're right, that music (of course it's all voice) is gorgeous. I can't make up my mind whether to get the CD or download the album. If I download I won't get the enclosed write up which I assume has translations. But downloading saves me four bucks plus shipping, and I get immediate satisfaction. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have mentioned that ... thank you for bringing it up. Yes, the CD insert does have the translations!

    ReplyDelete