Thursday, July 1, 2010

Something I Really Like - Bookishly

I am greatly enjoying this book so far which we have begun for our Catholic women's book club. Talk about a great summer read!

It is an epic tale from the days when Christianity was new ... of Romans, Christians, slaves, and ... lions in the arena. I never realized that this was written in Polish and, as it says on Amazon, "The novel has as a subtext the persecution and political subjugation of Poland by Russia." Interesting ...

A little info I just stumbled across that gives me some interesting context:
Quo vadis? is a Latin phrase meaning "Where are you going?" or "Whither goest thou?". The modern usage of the phrase refers to Christian tradition, related in the apocryphal Acts of Peter (Vercelli Acts XXXV), in which Saint Peter meets Jesus as Peter is fleeing from likely crucifixion in Rome. Peter asks Jesus the question; Jesus' answer, "I am going to Rome to be crucified again" (Eo Romam iterum crucifigi), prompts Peter to gain the courage to continue his ministry and eventually become a martyr.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm.... my only familiarity with Quo Vadis is the old movie.

    I deeply love my parents but the majority of my catechism came from the movies.
    Quo Vadis, Ten Commandments, The Robe, Samson and Delilah,
    And, my fave... Song of Benadette.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As Father Bierschenk always said, "Never get your theology from TV or movies." :-)

    Never saw the movie but the book has the best potboiler elements (including Nero and orgies!), while also having moments of seeing what pure Christian life are like. I tell you, this book is making me pay much closer attention to how I live the faith every day. Plus being a good beach read (if I were near a beach!).

    ReplyDelete