Monday, January 11, 2010

Body (and practically everything else) by Victoria's Secret


In case we forgot the message of the infamous Dove evolution video (see below) here comes a story via Gadgetopia (thanks Tom!) about how much this Victoria's Secret photo was changed. Not only did a bag get clumsily erased but her skin color was lightened and various other features one would expect noticed at Victoria's Secret were altered as well. Find out here. (Note: the comparison photo which shows the model in a different photo and also much less covered up ... a la a scanty bikini in my estimation.)

I'll note that I didn't read the article as thoroughly as Tom did, but it seems to me that one thing missed by everyone is that the girl's other hand is held completely unnaturally for someone simply walking. She probably was holding something else in that hand also.

At any rate, when one sees the photo manipulation it is simply incredible. The girl is already a model, chosen because she is considerably better looking than the general population. Did they really need to do such extreme manipulation? I contend they did not.

Here's the Dove evolution video which is a good thing to review every so often.

6 comments:

  1. Tante Leonie1/11/10, 8:51 AM

    Looks like she had been holding luggage, maybe?

    Regarding the whole photo manipulation thing: I guess I'm jaded, because I automatically assume every single photo I see now is enhanced in some way or other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I was not drawn to this post by the link that read "Victoria's Secret".... Really. I read all your posts. What I want to know is, how do I get this treatment for pictures on our blog, like mug shots of Frank and me?

    ReplyDelete
  3. But Webster, you are so gorgeous already! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm well-acquainted with the President of a firm which does 'photo enhancements' for a jewelry catalog.

    On touring the place, I saw a VERY large blow-up of a head-shot of a model (wearing a diamond necklace, of course). On her face, the enhancers had made several DOZEN marks in areas which would be "fixed."

    She started out as a very pretty girl. She wound up as an avatar...

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Irresistible Combo of Faith and Beauty
    "Complete submission to God really becomes a man"
    Jim Caviezel, the perfect pin-up for Catholic women everywhere.

    Does the post relate to this photo on your site? Jim's photo is great because it isn't touched up?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure what your objection is. I never said that the model wasn't a gorgeous woman, merely that it should be enough to be a gorgeous woman without having nature improved upon to such extremes.

    Appreciating beauty in all things in nature, and that includes people, is certainly appropriate among Christians.

    So if you could explain further ... ?

    ReplyDelete