Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Clearing Out the Static ... a.k.a. What I'm Giving Up

I am giving up reading so many blogs.

That sounds so easy.

Until one goes into the RSS feed and has to chop (yes, that's how it felt ... CHOP) all but five blogs from the "Daily" folder and all but five from the folders I have for each day of the week.

Which I can check once a day.

For no longer than half an hour.

I already am seeing what a time sink has been getting between me and God. Oy.

My word this has been brutal. I am much too fond of so very many blogs ... it hurts and then is when I know that "detachment" is the thing wherein we will catch the conscience of Happy Catholic. (This also will be applying to podcasts ... but that will have to wait until I return home. In the meantime, I am on an enforced podcast fast ... just what I brung with me!)

It is not all about clearing away, of course. With that cleared away space, what does one do?

In my case, more practicing my vocation of taking care of home and hearth ... and of prayer, with an emphasis on listening. Still figuring this part out ... hey, I've got an hour or so!

P.S.
I realize this is very similar to the group that is giving up Facebook for Lent (complete with a Facebook group! ha!) But when I asked God what needed to be cleared from between us, this is all I got back.

I see that The Curt Jester is chiming in on this too, with predictably funny results. Yes, I laughed out loud. (And, no, I'm not giving up The Curt Jester ... he made the cut.)

No comments:

Post a Comment