Monday, November 3, 2008

What Would Jesus Do?

Over the weekend I received a long email from a gentleman deploring the desire to use legislation in stopping abortion. He began by talking about higher brain function and then went on a long and winding road that moseyed by gay marriage along the way and wound up postulating that Jesus would not support changing abortion laws.

I will admit that along the way I began wondering if Jesus felt as tired when faced with the Pharisees' and Sadduecees' little legal puzzles as I did upon looking at all the logical constructs that this gentleman mustered in support of his view.

Honestly, I have no idea what Jesus would say to this gentleman. However, thinking of the model that Jesus presented of a pithy presentation, usually composed of Scripture, here is what occurred to me as I was reading the Gospel of Matthew this morning. It will have to suffice ...
Thus says the Lord, "You shall not kill.

Can a mother forget her infant, be without tenderness for the child of her womb? Even should she forget, I will never forget you.

See, upon the palms of my hands I have written your name ..."

Amen, I say to you, what you did not do for one of these least ones, you did not do for me.
(Sources Exodus 20:13, Isaiah 49:15-16 Matthew 25:45)

No comments:

Post a Comment