Thursday, November 13, 2008

There's No Such Thing as a Free Book. Or Is There?

Caite at a lovely shore breeze reviews plenty of books with a discerning eye. She receives review book copies and now takes up the question of whether receiving a review book constitutes an unspoken contract with the publisher.

She covers the myriad attitudes taken by different bloggers and also considers what the publishers expect in return. (She also lists many programs whereby bloggers can seek out review books ... you may want to read it simply for those program names if you blog and are an avid reader.)
I have seen blogs that don't really review but rather just sort of describe a book. I have read bloggers who say, happily, that never write a bad review. I don't 'get' that and it's not my cuppa tea, but if that's what floats your boat, grand.

But I want to be a salesman for books. Good books, exciting books, moving books, books that will change people, or make them scared or make them cry or make them laugh, books that they will remember for years and want others to read. That is my pleasure in a blog.
This is something that I have pondered myself, if not in such depth. My policy is that if I have picked up a book at the library or some such place or have received an unexpected package with review books ... they are fair game. I will give a good or bad review as I feel fit. Admittedly, I give few bad reviews because, like Caite, I usually am more interested in urging people to try books that I, personally, get excited about. Heck, I even began my Forgotten Classics podcast for the specific purpose of pushing my favorite books on others by reading aloud.

I will give the occasional bad review to books I feel it necessary to warn others against. However, many books are mediocre or just not to my taste and I don't bother mentioning them. There are plenty of those.

The only time I will decline to give a bad review, or any review at all, is if it is for a book that I have been specifically asked if I would like to review. I do feel that my agreement of having some interest in the book is an unspoken "contract" to that extent. This is especially true since some of these requests come from authors and I feel that it would be a kick in the teeth to take a book from them and then to trash it publicly. There are several cases where I have contacted an author or publisher's rep in such circumstances, explained my problems with giving any sort of review, and offered to return the book. On the other hand, I don't automatically feel it is necessary to give a glowing review in such circumstances. I always will be honest above all. Y'all know, though, that where I love, I love passionately or not at all. So ... you can take it from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment