Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A Deadly Irony

I didn't watch any election returns, opting to catch up on a past episode of Chuck. The one thing that I can celebrate is that Obama's election and the hard-fought campaign show how far our country has come in looking at a person for who they are ... and not what color they are. That is worth celebrating. However, in my mind, it is not enough to give me any sort of "happy" feeling. I see it as being more of a concrete acknowledgment of something that has been practiced in much of America for a long time already, at least among those people that I know.

At any rate, I didn't see the scene that so many did of the family onstage during the acceptance speech. However, Historical Christian sums up both what we can celebrate and the deadly irony that we can lament. Here's a bit and then please do go read it all.
... There was one moment that really stuck me, that seemed a powerful symbol of what could perhaps be a truly new era: when both families joined Obama on the stage. And there stood a mix of black and white people, an interracial group now comprising the first families of the nation.

And it wasn’t the white, but the black family that was the First Family, with the white family in support.

What a wonderful image. On the pure level of image, all politics aside, it did give one tiny, faint part of me joy. As I’ve written on this blog before, I hate racism, and I love black people. I want to see them succeed, and excel. On that level, in one very small part of me, I am happy.

But there were also the painful ironies of the night. The first black President – who is radically pro-abortion, when the black community is disproportionally affected by abortion, far more black babies aborted than any other race. ...

No comments:

Post a Comment