Friday, October 31, 2008

Word of the Day: Irenic

irenic
Main Entry:
Pronunciation:
\ī-ˈre-nik, -ˈrē-\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Greek eirēnikos, from eirēnē peace
Date:
circa 1864
: favoring, conducive to, or operating toward peace, moderation, or conciliation
I actually had to go look this up as it was entirely new to me. I came across it in TS's comment:
... Christian unity is personal for me, having a non-Catholic wife, but the better reason to care about Christian unity is for Christ's sake. The irenic Julie Davis puts it beautifully in her review ...
He never says the name of the book but he's talking about my review of The Shack, which I generally liked but which one must read critically. Thank you for the new word and (I think) the self-definition.

No comments:

Post a Comment