Monday, August 6, 2007

Praying for Those in Mortal Sin

What a vivid description and how this reminded me sharply to pray for those in mortal sin, who I admit I rarely think about at all.

This entire book has been a surprise as Teresa writes about things much more simply than I expected. Initially I was afraid to read this book, figuring it was so far over my head that I'd never understand. That was a conclusion I drew without even cracking it open. Wrong! I can recommend it to anyone, provided they read slowly, absorbing it a bit at a time, not because it is so difficult but because it is so very rich.
Let us take care, Sisters, to beg this mercy of Him and not be careless, for it is a most generous alms to pray for those who are in mortal sin. Suppose we were to see a Christian with his hands fastened behind his back by a strong chain, bound to a post, and dying of hunger, not because of lack of food, for there are very choice dishes beside him, but because he cannot take hold of the food and eat, and even has great loathing for it; and suppose he sees that he is about to breathe his last and die, not just an earthly death but an eternal one. Wouldn't it be a terrible cruelty to stand looking at him and not feed him? Well, then, what if through your prayer the chains could be loosed? The answer is obvious. For the love of God I ask you always to remember in your prayers souls in mortal sin.
Interior Castle by Teresa of Avila

No comments:

Post a Comment