Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Talk Backwards

Wow. Via Literary Compass.

Once again, I remember one of my favorite Steve Goodman songs.

Sdrawkcab Klat (Talk Backwards)

Hey everybody wherever you are
They've got a new way of talking and it's
Gonna go far; you take the letters in the
Words, turn 'em around; say the last one
First and check out the sound, Talk Backwards

I know what you're thinking; that it sure sound strange
You talked forward so long that it's hard to change
But it's just like metric once you get the drift
You twist your tongue and give your palate
A lift. You take your favorite phrase, read
It in the mirror, practice that about a half
A year, and then sdrawkcab gnikiat mi em ta kool
You're a regular talking bassackwards fool
Talk backwards

Talking backwards is the new sensation,
Talking backwards is sweeping the nation
You amaze your friends when you start to rap
Don't say pass the butter, say rettub eht ssap.
Rettub eht ssap? Rettub eht ssap
And if you're out with a girl and she's a
Little bit shy don't say I love you; say
Uoy evol I. uoy evol I and I always will, Now
See if that doesn't take off the chill
Talk Backwards

Just the otherday I was walking down the street
And there was this little girl I thought I'd
Like to meet. I said excuse me miss but
Sserd taht teg uoy erehw. thgin ta tuo emoc
Yeht srats eki I era hteet ruoy
And I said am I getting through to you yet
She said you're a gent in the first degree
And I love it when you talk backwards to me
Talk backwards

You never can tell, but one of the nights
Those who talk backwards will demand
Their rights. They'll rise up angry
And get a solution in the form of an amendment
To the constitution, that guarantees 'em freedom
Of reverse elocution; and then every T.V. show
That airs will have to be captioned
For the forward impaired
Talk backwards

No comments:

Post a Comment