Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Brown Coats Meeting in the Post Office

How did I know the woman I was standing behind at the Post Office was a Brown Coat (translation: Firefly fan)?

Because she was carefully folding up Jayne's hat to put in a box for shipping. "Jayne's hat!" I cried in delight.

She turned to me with a big grin. "I have a friend who knits these and I'm sending this to my friend in Switzerland. It's perfect!"

Then we rhapsodized over Firefly for a bit, which I will spare you.

Knitting and sci-fi: when worlds collide ...


Here's Jayne wearing the hat ... which was so incredibly goofy but which bad-a** Jayne wore through an entire episode because his mother made it and mailed it to him. As we can see from my testimony above, all you have to do is say "Jayne's hat" to a Firefly fan and they know exactly what you mean.



Turns out that there is more than one pattern out there for this hat and you'll also find photos of Serenity/Firefly fans wearing Jayne's hat to various conventions. You know, for a show that only aired 9 episodes it sure developed a hard core cult following.

Here's the pattern, which I printed out and kept ...

No comments:

Post a Comment