Thursday, May 24, 2007

And the Learning Continues ...

Scroll down for update on this post.
In the Catechism of the Catholic Church we read:

“Thanks to the assistance of the Holy Spirit, the understanding of both the realities and the words of the heritage of faith is able to grow in the life of the church:

-through the contemplation and study of believers who ponder these things in their hearts it is in particular theological research which deepens knowledge of revealed truth.

-from the intimate sense of spiritual realities which [believers] experience, the Sacred Scripture grow with the one who reads them…” (#94)
I often don't check the comments for the blogs I visit. If you are like that too, please make an exception and read those for A Couple of Things I Never Realized Until Now. There is a wealth of good information there.

Possibly I'm the only one who needed the encouragement and instruction taking place there. Reading these comments made for a very inspirational and happy morning for me ... thanks y'all!

The reinforcement that spiritual reading is a religious devotion made me so happy because it is then that my mind and heart thrill to how God reveals Himself to us ... and, most of all, to me. That sudden recognition of spiritual reading as a method of conversation takes it from being an "interest" to being so much more. (I already knew this about the Bible, but never thought about it applying to other reading ... but how would it not? God's everywhere, after all.)
Oh my Jesus, forgive us our sins,
Save us from the fires of hell,
Lead all souls to heaven,
Especially those in most need of thy mercy.
Amen.
I say this prayer quite often and didn't think to connect it with my realization about just who is being prayed for when I pray for the souls in Purgatory who have no one to pray for them. Also check out Rick's comment about praying for the "person who is closest to getting out of Purgatory."

The article about John Lennon was interesting. To me it said not only that John was constantly seeking truth and guidance, sadly finding neither in Yoko, but also that John had an easily influenced nature. Tom and I have been talking recently about a couple of people we know like that. The thing is that if you can realize you are easily influenced, then your duty is to then make sure you keep yourself away from bad influences and only around good ones. Interestingly, he seems to have realized he was "easily led" as the saying goes, but not that Yoko was a terrible influence on him. Very sad.

Although I already was up to speed on Rick's reminder about that "heavenly beverage made of barley, sugar, yeast, hops and water" ... Ben Franklin says that one well.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to prosper.
UPDATE
Vehige, the initiator of that surprising idea (to me) of reading as a spiritual devotion, gives his routine and thoughts on practicing this devotion. Good ideas there, check it out.

I forgot to mention that when I am doing spiritual reading (meaning the Bible or the Catechism), I have my own routine. I begin by asking the Holy Spirit to come and instruct me; I use the "Come Holy Spirit prayer:
Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful and kindle in them the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit and they shall be created. And You shall renew the face of the earth.

O, God, who by the light of the Holy Spirit, did instruct the hearts of the faithful, grant that by the same Holy Spirit we may be truly wise and ever enjoy His consolations, Through Christ Our Lord, Amen.
That settles my mind on God from the beginning. So I am going to begin saying that prayer before I do my other spiritual reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment