Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Lenten Lessons Learned

I realized this morning that there was one idea repeated to me over and over in different ways throughout Lent. Avoid distractions and get on with the business of the moment now ... not later, don't spend time thinking about it, just do it.

The first holy 2x4 came when I read this a couple of weeks ago.
We have to ask God: What are You calling me to do now, in this Present Moment? Not yesterday or tomorrow, but right now. God's will is manifested to us in the duties and experiences of the Present Moment. We have only to accept them and try to be like Jesus in them.
It has popped into my mind again and again whenever I needed something to prompt me out of daydreaming, cruising the internet, or basically to drag my attention back to what was going on at the moment (such as Mass for example). Yesterday, I read this.
The Lord led me to St Alfonso di Liguori's little book Uniformity with God's Will. The Saint recommends the use of the words "Lord, what will you have me do?"

As soon as I read this, I asked the question. The answer was simple and direct and easy to obey. There was nothing "holy" about the action - it was in fact to have lunch. But after a morning of chaotic random action, the day suddenly came into focus. Still asking the question, I spent a short time in prayer after lunch, had a 15 minute nap, and then commenced writing this posting.
Asking myself this question when I read it, the answer was just as simple as that given to Si Fractus Fortis. Quit reading blogs and get back to work. As with his follow up today I have felt focussed and productive.

That is something I have been struggling with for ... oh, a very long time. I had been asking Jesus for help with this for some time, knowing that it doesn't seem like a big problem but also knowing that this was a big one for me. We each have our own cross, our own special paths of temptation and this has been mine.

And He answered.

The answer is simple, of course. Unexpectedly simple. But so effective.

Yes, I must apply the answer. Must do the work of reminding myself to stay in the Present Moment and then to ask that question, "Lord, what will you have me do?" And then do it.

But I have been given the tools I needed.

For prayers answered, I gratefully give thanks.

And now I must get on with work, which is what the Lord would have me to do right now (not to mention that also also being the preference of my clients and co-workers!).

No comments:

Post a Comment