Thursday, December 28, 2006

Distractions and Prayer

Distractions may make deep prayer difficult, but prayer does not necessarily need to be exceedingly deep to be deeply effective. I've learned not to fight my distractions but to lean into them, to embrace them. Sometimes I may stop my prayer and name the distraction: "Lord, I'm distracted by the people talking behind me as I'm trying to pray. Please help me get quiet inside myself." Or, "Lord, I can't get my workload out of my mind. Help me to be present to you." Surprisingly, those very distractions are often the means by which God leads me to a new understanding, an insight or an answer to a problem. God uses everything to get our attention. Don't assume that because you are distracted you are doing something wrong. That you are aware of your distractions is probably an indication that you are on the right track.
The idea of using one's distractions as Kelly mentions is a new one to me but I like it. What a no brainer ... I am praying so why not ask God then to help with the distractions? I can't believe I never tried that before.

Oh well, onward and upward, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment