Monday, November 20, 2006

From Taye Diggs to Jayne's Hat ... a Photo Essay


Last night Rose and I watched the pilot of Day Break which I taped earlier in the week. Against all my expectations it was pretty good. If I didn't expect it to be too good, why did I tape it? Look at Taye Diggs' photo again ...



I was being driven crazy by the fact that I couldn't place the actor playing the scummy, sleazy cop, Chad. Thank heavens for IMDB ... Adam Baldwin!

No wonder he looked familiar ... and no wonder I couldn't place him. Somehow Chad and Jayne from Firefly just don't equate. Yeah, Jayne also was scummy and sleazy but you expected it and he was upfront about it in a refreshing way.

Rose was equally astounded and then told me, "Anna has found a pattern for Jayne's hat. That's why she wants to learn how to knit."




Not this hat ...



... but this hat which was so incredibly goofy but which bad-a** Jayne wore through an entire episode because his mother made it and mailed it to him. All you have to do is say "Jayne's hat" to Firefly fans and they know exactly what you mean.

Word is that Jayne's hat also was in Serenity if you are looking at the right time. I missed it ... guess I'll have to watch it again to see (tough duty, but someone's gotta do it...)


Turns out that there is more than one pattern out there for this hat and you'll also find photos of Serenity/Firefly fans wearing Jayne's hat to various conventions. You know, for a show that only aired 9 episodes it sure developed a hard core cult following.

Here's the pattern, which I will be printing out and keeping ... though from examining the photos I am fairly sure that Jayne's hat has orange ear flaps. I'm going to have to watch the episode again to check this out (again, someone's gotta do this tough duty and for my knitting I count it worthwhile...)

No comments:

Post a Comment