Monday, July 3, 2006

Feast of St. Thomas, apostle


Andrea del Verrocchio. Christ and Doubting Thomas.
1467-83. Bronze. Orsanmichele, Florence, Italy.
Thomas is known for his disbelief in Christ's Resurrection prior to the apparition of Jesus to the Apostles. The stunning encounter provides us with an occasion for strengthening our own confidence in the historical fact of God's definitive conquest over death.

The Gospels offer us the clearest insights into the life of St. Thomas. We know through tradition that he evangelized India. The mortal remains of the once incredulous Apostle were moved to Edessus on July 3 in the sixth century and ever since then his feast day has been celebrated on this day.
I am quite fond of St. Thomas, the famous "doubting Thomas" who wants absolute proof before he'll believe his fellow apostles' stories of Jesus' resurrection. For one thing, who among us has not felt the same at some time? You know, "God, why can't I just see this clearly? C'mon already!"

For another, he is quite a fitting namesake for my own dear Tom, although Tom is not named after this particular Thomas. That's not all a bad thing you know. I have many friends who believe mystical and miraculous stories at the drop of a hat. I realize it is rather ironic for me to be saying that when I am prone to do so myself all too easily. It is nice to have my own "doubting Thomas" nearby for reality checks. Surprisingly, he often will not rule out the miraculous, but he is not at all shy about pointing out just plain "rules of the universe" in action. We have a good check and balance system going I think.

What does all that have to do with the real St. Thomas? Nothing perhaps but it is just what crosses my mind whenever that bit of the Gospel comes around.

No comments:

Post a Comment