Strengths and accomplishments:
Weaknesses and mistakes:
- He was the miracle child born to Sarah and Abraham when she was 90 years old and he was 100
- He was the first descendent in fulfillment of God's promise to Abraham
- He seems to have been a caring and consistent husband, at least until his sons were born
- He demonstrated great patience
Lessons from his life:
- Under pressure, he tended to lie
- In conflict he sought to avoid confrontation
- He played favorites between his sons and alienated his wife
- Patience often brings rewards
- Both God's plans and his promises are larger than people
- God keeps his promises. He remains faithful though we are often faithless
- Playing favorites is sure to bring family conflict
- Where: The area called the Negev, in the southern part of Palestine, between Kadesh and Shur (Genesis 20:1)
- Occupation: Wealthy livestock owner
- Relatives: Parents - Abraham and Sarah. Half brother - Ishmael. Wife: Rebekah. Sons - Jacob and Esau.
"Then God said, 'Yes, but your wife Sarah shall bear you a son, and you will call him Isaac. I will establish my covenant with him as an everlasting covenant for his descendants after him.'" (Genesis 17:19)
Isaac's story is told in Genesis 17:15-35:29. He also is mentioned in Romans 9:7, 8; Hebrews 11:17-20; James 2:21-24.
All material quoted is from the Life Application Study Bible. See the sidebar under "Bible Study: Genesis" for link to this reference.